Awareness











In November it has been (not all on the same date):

British Sausage Week
World Diabetes Day
Alcohol Awareness Week
Movember
Transgender Awareness Week
and (I kid you not) Counter-Terrorism Awareness Week

Now there will be a myriad of reasons why these events exist - reasons of health, reasons of commerce, reasons of security, reasons of education, and so on - but one the reasons is to raise awareness.

And some are done in a lighthearted vein; British Sausage Week is a harmless(?) commercial drive to push British Produce ™ and give something for breakfast DJs to have a lighthearted segment about: Movember is a lighthearted way of raising funding for some more serious issues.
Others are born out of necessity - Alcohol Awareness Week is one way the strain on the NHS can be tackled (IE stop drinking so much - it hospitalises you) and presumably Counter-Terrorism Awareness Week is designed to remind us to help fight in the war on terror, by questioning all forms of unattended luggage. [I do jest a bit on the last one, but I suspect if I gave proper care and attention to the subject, it would end up being a valid concern].

But what these all do, on some level or other, is educate us. Or at least attempt to educate us.

-

For many of us, we have a matter-of-fact approach to education -> you get it until you are 16 or 18 at school, and then you get on with living.

When of course a lot of us choose further education; in the traditional sense of university, apprenticeship, on-the-job-training, etc. but also in less obvious ways - we self-teach by reading articles/books/the internet - we learn through peer-to-peer interactions - we learn through new experiences.

-

I’d like to think that most of us are still open to being educated further. Perhaps not in such clinical/classroom terms, but I guess we should be aware (aha!) that learning should be an ongoing process.

Of course people should also be aware that you can have bad teachers - your peers might turn Movember into a simple moustache-growing competition, and the awareness piece goes un-discussed. Or you might lose sight of the fact that British Sausage Week is just about selling more sausages - although for some people, that is their livelihood.

-

What becomes a challenge is the saturation of awareness.

I’m pretty sure there is a National [X] Awareness Day for every single day of the year (just of varying degrees of known-ness) and that does raise the question of ‘which of these are important to me?’

I would say it is not possible to take on awareness of every cause, charity, movement, etc. there is - as valid as they all might be - but what is possibly possible, is to take a few of them and embrace them, and promote them - which I would say is what people do.

And for me this becomes a question of ‘which are the most important of these awarenesses to have?’. Both individually, and collectively as a society.

And do these two scenarios results in different lists of what to be aware of?

Maybe you can try that now. Take the 6 awareness movements I have listed at the start, and rank them from 1-6 which matters to you personally; and which matters at a societal level.

I’m pretty sure we’ll all have different answers.

But at least we can being to be a bit more aware about what we want to be aware of. And why.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Operating Outside the Overton Window

Recommend Me Some Music

In the Shadow of the Moon