Garmon and Sifunkel

It is often difficult to put into words what you feel when you listen to music.

Certainly when it comes to music like Simon and Garfunkel. Or Dark Sanctuary. Or Darude - Sandstorm.

Part of me wants to use words like ‘melancholy’ and ‘wistful’ and ‘longing’, but there is an upbeat quality as well. And I think the very best music can make you feel all the things, sometimes in the same song - but usually over the course of a classic album. Or over a particular artist’s career.

I have often resorted to listening to music when my otherwise emotional experience of life has been limited.

Which is quite the opposite of what my life has been in recent months. There hasn’t been a need to ‘fill the void’ with musical entertainment - I have been extremely lucky to have had quite a speedy tour de force in the realms of emotional engagement [though evidently the Smooth Talking module is missing in action].

And so during the Simon and Garfunkel Story at Leeds College of Music this evening, I experienced a sense of emotional heightening, with my brain full of fanciful ideas about the future - accompanied by the strains of ‘America’ - and there was nothing I could do to stop myself being dragged along by my heartstrings to a vision softly creeping.

-

In that moment all my hopes and fears seemed possible at once.

My imagination presented me both the best and worst scenarios: The realisation that nothing can truly be shared, and loneliness is all we can be certain of.
Or that spending some of your limited time with someone else can be the most invaluable purchase you ever make.

Spend it wisely; but spend it generously with those who equally value the time that can be shared.

And, occasionally, beat your snare drum next to an open lift shaft.

#andhighlighteuphemismsusinghashtags

Lie-la-lie…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Point of Christmas?

#DemocracyIsBroken

I've Fallen In Love With A Hippopotamus