Ice Bucket Challenge














I think unless you’ve been living in a war zone {nope, not even that…}, I’m sure you’ve heard of the Ice Bucket Challenge by now.

It is essentially a way to - in the nicest possible way - guilt-trip your friends into donating to the ALS/MND charities: No doubt a worthy cause; whilst also giving you the enjoyment(?) of seeing your friends getting drenched in ice-cold water.

And so it was almost inevitable [in fact I think mathematically it has taken far more time than it should have for me (and everyone else in the world) to be nominated] that some of my dear, dear friends would nominate me to take part.

Now for those of you who are regular viewers of The Dan Show™ {you both know who you are…}, you will know that my camera skills are barely in focus at best; and not having any form of glamorous assistant/trained koala somewhat adds an unnecessary element of ‘challenge’ to the already aforementioned challenge.

So I have taken a pragmatic view - not just on the whole ice bucket bit - but more in relation to the important bit; donating to charity.

If you haven’t already seen Matt Damon’s Ice Bucket Challenge, you can do so here:


Without wishing to decry the previous challenges as “wasting” water - that would be unfair; it isn’t exactly a limited resource (don’t forget you’re technically drowning yourself in recycled dinosaur piss anyway) - it has drawn something out in my mind that I have been looking at in recent months.

So - as I expect the ALS/MND charities are doing better than they could have dreamed for their donations, thanks to this global phenomenon - I have decided that I will donate to Water Aid UK instead:

At this point in time, everyone having access (and easier access at that) to clean water is something that speaks to me more than any other charity can. For me, anyway.

Rather pleasingly, the UK Government are matching donations to Water Aid UK until September 9th - so if you think they are a worthy cause; get your donation in sooner rather than later! Let’s put some of our taxes to good use!


For those of you still wishing to see me doused in water; The Dan Show™ runs most nights from 1-3am, except during Passover and Ramadan.

Alternatively, I shower most mornings at the usual address…

-

Top photo: © WaterAid / Kate Holt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Point of Christmas?

#DemocracyIsBroken

I've Fallen In Love With A Hippopotamus