Because The World Needs Another Opinion (It’s The Only One I Have To Give)











I started writing a really long and almost essay-like post about the Scottish Independence debate. But - realistically - no-one is going to read or care about it (in any defining sense anyway).

All I’ll say is it has been fun to see how divisive the issues have been if my Facebook feed is anything to go by (and that really is a sad indicator of how this debate has been over-exposed).

Largely the ‘No’ side seems driven by logical, business and sometimes class-based arguments - all about businesses moving out of Scotland, the economy suffering more; whereas the 'Yes’ side seems much more driven by their heart and desire for a truly independent Scotland, which effectively resurrects at least a metaphorical Hadrian’s Wall in terms of where the buck stops.

Power to the people is my instinct - remember that this is a unique opportunity to get closer to running your own country. That’s something I doubt I’ll see in my lifetime - sure I get a single vote every 5 years, but until I’m allowed to dictate which public sectors get my tax money; I have no real influence on how the geographic location I live in is run.

Fortunately, compared to the majority of the world; my life is privileged enough that the most disruptive thing I have to concern myself with is errant traffic laws; bureaucracy of the British-est order; and blithering idiots from all sides of the political spectrum that - fortunately - hold no real sway on my life’s fruition.

But if you gave me the opportunity to establish my own country with like-minded individuals, in broadly the same geographic location - amongst (lets face it) a broadly-friendly surrounding cluster of nations; I would snap your hand off and go for it.

Yes, things will change - but that is the fundamental law of the universe - everything is in constant change; and our greatest challenge is to cope with those changes, and make our shared world-experience for the better.

-

If you really don’t like the idea of Scotland become independent from Westminster rule, then - quite simply - move South of the border and come and see how god-awfully dull that life really is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's The Point of Christmas?

#DemocracyIsBroken

I've Fallen In Love With A Hippopotamus